There’s not a lot to say about 2016 except that it’s been a funny old year. I spent the first half of the year very much trying to live life to the full – attending music festivals, partying in Ibiza and going on random drives and weekends away – whereas the second half has been the complete opposite. Instead, I’ve turned into a social hermit, choosing to buckle down with freelance work and push myself for every opportunity going. Some of it has paid off but it has meant I’ve spent a severe lack of time with my friends. This is understandable, however, with my contract at work ending in September, leaving me to pick up part time and freelance work and spending more time on earning/saving money than spending it.
I hope next year I try to find a decent balance between the two! Still, I’m just going to jump straight into it – my 2016 in review!
1. What did you do in 2016 that you’d never done before?
I passed my driving test! And I was a little more forward with travel – I definitely took advantage of having my own car by having a couple of little weekends away to places like Sunderland and Blackpool. Blackpool I went to alone and that was scary, but it was ever so rewarding to. And I also went to EDC which was way out of my comfort zone – but was tons of fun! As was Lost Village Festival – something else that was entirely out of my comfort zone but one of the best experiences of my life.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s Resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I can’t even remember if I made resolutions this year! But I have made some resolutions for next year
, and, as always, I also plan to travel more.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My sister gave birth! I can’t tell you the feeling of being an aunt – it’s so lovely and my niece is an absolute beauty. I can’t believe I never used to like children…!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, but we seemed to have lost bloody everyone in the celebrity world this year..
5. What places did you visit?
Ibiza, Blackpool, Sunderland.
6. What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016?
Still a rockstar boyfriend!
7. What dates from 2016 will remain etched in your memory, and why?
I really don’t know. I’ve spent most of the year feeling quite numb if I’m honest, not much has really stood out for me. Maybe after seeing twenty one pilots live in London, sitting on the hill outside of Alexandra Palace and overlooking London, listening to emotional songs and talking about how lucky we are with Briony – that was a nice moment. And the gig itself will forever remain etched in my memory too I think! And, Lost Village of course.
8. What was your biggest achievement this year?
Passing my driving test! I cannot begin to tell you how desperate I was for this to happen.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I wish I’d travelled more but there’s still time for that.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Umm gig tickets?
12. Who’s behaviour merited celebration?
My brother and my sister – they’ve been so supportive this year and I cannot thank you enough.
13. Who’s behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
One or two people, but again, nothing worth mentioning on my blog.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Gig tickets and my car.
15. What did you get really excited about?
Reading! Lost Village Festival and gigs.
16. What song will always remind you of 2016?
Umm probably Lane Boy by twenty one pilots because, bless it, it is overplayed massively, but I still love it.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you :
a. happier or sadder? Sadder probably – it’s been a tough year too.
b. thinner or fatter? Fatter! I think I’ve put on a bit of weight over Christmas!
c. richer or poorer? Poorer! So much for saving this year…
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I’d travelled more or at least stopped talking myself out of taking chances to travel.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
We didn’t, really. We spent it the same as last year, a quiet one at home, but to be honest, it feels less and less like Christmas each year.
21. Did you fall in love in 2016?
Nope, not unless you count rockstars, or music.
22. What was your favourite TV program?
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate at this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?
I haven’t done much reading this year!
25. What music did you get excited about?
Busted! Haha. And twenty one pilots.
26. What did you want and get?
I didn’t want anything, but I got some real thoughtful gifts for Christmas.
27. What did you want and not get?
28. What was your favourite film of this year?
Umm probably either one of the Star Wars movies or Deadpool. Yes, sorry, I’ve gone with the predictable ones.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 27 and had some friends round before a night out at our local rock club. It was fun.
30. What one thing would have made your year more satisfying?
Getting further with trying to break into music journalism, but I’ve still made a lot of progress.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2016?
Lazy. Terribly lazy still.
32. What kept you sane?
Music, friends and family.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Probably either one of the twenty one pilots boys #SorryNotSorry
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Again, probably just all the terrorism going on around the world right now. It just seems to be neverending and every week we’re hearing something new.
35. Whom did you miss?
My beautiful mum.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
No one I can think of. I buried the hatchet with an old ‘friend’ so to speak though, and I’m really glad I did. It’s nice to have them back in my life.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016.
I haven’t learned anything new, other than just the same thing I put last year: life is unfair but you can’t change it.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.‘
Peace will win and fear will lose’
How would you sum up your 2016? Let me know!
You can also find me on